Thanks for stopping by!
I can’t believe it’s the 7th day of March already!?! My birthday is exactly 1 WEEK from today! 😀
I am loving the opportunity to share my passion for health and fitness with you through the #MyMarchMaddness platform and I really do hope that you are enjoying it too!
I often get asked by people starting out on their fitness journeys , “What do I need?” and the honest answer is that it’s different for each person, but here are a few staples in my fitness toolbox that could help you get started.
- My Fitbit : Those who know me know that I am a HUGE advocate for the Fitbit. Early in my postpartum fitness journey, I was looking for something that I could use to count my steps, monitor my heart rate and track my exercises. I did lots of research and finally settled on the Fitbit because for a decent price it gave me EVERYTHING I wanted and more!
I set all kinds of goals and reminders in it and I really like the little summaries that it produces. I most especially love that it’s not bulky and therefore can be a standard “accessory”.
- MyFitnessPal : I am not big on calorie counting, but I love having this app handy – especially when menu and meal prepping – to ensure that I know exactly what I’m putting in my body! Another great thing about it, I’m sure a lot of people will love, is that it syncs with the Fitbit app so all my calorie intake and calorie burn information is in one place. This is an awesome way to ensure that you are not “eating away all your hard work” because an overall calorie deficit is required in order to lose weight.
- Exercise Videos : There are lots of awesome exercise videos available on YouTube and various apps out there. I highly recommend these for those just getting started out on their fitness journey or those who don’t have access to a gym because it’s almost like having your own personal trainer. I usually recommend Jillian Michaels for beginners because her stuff is simple but impactful (is that even a word?). I recently started using some of Shaun T’s stuff and I love them too – not so simple, but quick and to the point, great for burning high calories in a short amount of time.
- Weights : I know that weights intimidate a lot of people but I highly recommend them! Adding weights to any workout helps build strength and muscle and muscle burns fat! For the first 6 months of my postpartum weight loss journey I only exercised at home -using 5lb weights – and I was able to lose almost 60lbs!
- My Kids : I guess technically this could have fallen under #4 because My Kids are my favourite kind of “weights” to use. One of may favourite sayings is “they are a reason, not an excuse!”. When I exercise with them they have fun and I have fun. Thanks to my very comfortable ergobaby I can use my 25lb 1 year old to add some resistance to almost everything I do, and my 35lbs 3.5 year old works for a decent dead-lift or weighted planks/push-ups.